Homeless Education Title 1X-A

Last Updated: 1/24/2022 6:55 PM

Title IX-A: Education for Homeless Children & Youth Program

How can we help?

If you or your family are in a temporary or inadequate living situation due to a loss of housing, we can help!

If you are living in any of the following situations:

  • Shared housing with other friends or families
  • Runaway/homeless youth, and students who are not living with a parent or legally court-appointed guardian
  • Temporary or transitional housing
  • Emergency and domestic violence shelters
  • Motels or hotels
  • Campgrounds or inadequate trailer homes
  • Substandard housing (homes without heat, water, or working appliances)
  • Cars, abandoned buildings, parks, the streets or other public spaces

We may be able to help you or your child:

  • Enroll in school
  • Remain in your school if you move to another area
  • With transportation to and from school
  • Receive free or reduced cost school meals
  • Social referrals
  • Other services

Whom should you contact for more information about services available?

Rebecca Henderson (208) 770-4069, ext. 1887, or you can email the State Coordinator, Suzanne Peck.

What are your rights under the law?

You or your McKinney-Vento eligible children have the right to:

  • Receive a free, appropriate public education
  • Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment
  • Enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents
  • Enroll in the local school; or continue attending the school of origin (the school they attended when permanently housed or the school in which they were last enrolled), if that is your preference. *If the school district believes that the school you select is not in the best interest of your children, then the district must provide you with a written explanation of its position and inform you of your right to appeal its decision
  • Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if you request this
  • Receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to your children's needs. Children with special education needs between the ages of 3 and 21 are eligible to receive special needs services. If you believe your child may be eligible, contact your school or the district Special Education office.

Idaho Links

Information is above was compiled from the Idaho State Department of Education and can be found at https://www.sde.idaho.gov/federal-programs/homeless/index.html



HousingIdaho.com is a free rental housing site that helps meet your housing needs throughout Idaho. The site allows you to find a list of available housing opportunities and resources to help you pay your rent.


Recursos en Español


HousingIdaho.com es un sitio gratis sitio de viviendas de alquiler, que ayuda a satisfacer sus necesidades de vivienda en todo Idaho.El sitio le permite encontrar una lista de oportunidades de vivienda disponibles y recursos para ayudarlo a pagar el alquiler. 

SchoolHouse Connection

Esta página comparte información sobre los derechos educacionales de los niños y jóvenes sin hogar, y recursos para ayudarlos